Friday, May 8, 2009

Home is the Best.

This weekend starts a(nother) marathon of travel for me. We're talking one end of the country to the other, 3 states in 12 days, planes, trains, and automobiles here. The jump off point for this one is Buffalo, NY.

The best place in the world is home. I subscribe to theory that one can have multiple places they call home, especially if you've taken the time to make more than one place your home. Home in this instance is Buffalo, NY. More specifically the rocking suburbs of Buffalo, NY. If you've ever wondered what it was like to live in a bubble I would suggest moving to the towns of Williamsville/East Amherst/Getzville/Clarence, NY. Did I mention how much I love bubbles? Anyway, if you happen to find yourself up here, just North of the city, a few recommendations for you to chew on.

Merle Norman 7870 Transit Rd. Williamsville, NY: I know Merle Norman is a chain. I know that they sell pillows that say things like, "I'll take a mocha vodka xanax latte please!" I know the women who work there look like they applied their makeup with brushes I use to paint my walls. BUT, I have gotten my eyebrows waxed here for a decade (I just figured out today it has literally been a decade and almost had a heart attack in the parking lot) and I hate going anywhere else. If I know I have a trip home scheduled I will allow my eyebrows to get unruly (perhaps even offensive) in order to wait to go here. They always do a great job and they always stroke the ego by telling me how nice my eyebrows are. Dynamite combo. I realize boys don't understand the eyebrow waxing thing but trust me, finding a good, reliable place to get them done is just as important as just about anything I can think of. Seriously

Bocce's Club Pizza 1614 Hopkins Rd. East Amherst, NY (The Original Shop's Address is 4174 N. Bailey Ave. Amherst, NY but the East Amherst location is my jam): This place is right across the street from my old high school. I used to walk over and buy $2 orders of fries to snack on before field hockey practice. Every time I come home we always order at least once. Generally we always get a pizza and wings (double order, half hot, half barbecue) and if I'm in the mood, I'll order some chicken fingers, medium. I have never eaten anything from here that I haven't liked and it's usually just as good reheated the next day. We always over order so we know we'll have some for lunch for the next few days. Buffalo doesn't have much but it does have excellent food and for Friday night pizza and wings this is 100% the place to order from. Oh and you have to order (at least from the East Amherst locale) as there is nothing but a counter where you pick up your order in the store.

Libation Station 124 Plaza Dr. Williamsville, NY: If you are looking to put your drinking face on, Libation Station is the place to do it. I will go ahead and dub it the 'Best Bar in a Strip Mall Ever'. Yes, 'The Station' is located between a grocery store and a Chinese takeout spot but that does not make it any less awesome. There is nothing fabulous about this place, one might even call it a dive (though since its fresh coat of paint and few wall sconces it's not so much of a dive) but you can always get a cold, cheap beer. And lots of shots. And these are the reasons we go to bars are they not?

So that's a little look at what my Friday in Buffalo looks like. And it may seem short and simple but: grooming, food, drink. What more is there to life?

1 comment:

  1. There is nothing fabulous about the Station except for the fact that it is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete