Friday, May 1, 2009

This Week in the Kitchen Has Been Dynamite.

I, am a chef. Not in a CIA trained kind of way, more in a all up in my own head kind of way, but, I am a chef nonetheless. My kitchen is like the inside of a Williams-Sonoma. (If you're wondering how I knew it was - and not &, I simply peered out my bedroom window and looked. Also, gazed longingly at Tiffany's. I love my view.) I will buy a kitchen tool to make one dish even if I know it will be relegated to a drawer until the end of enternity. I am the only 24 year old I know who owns a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer. I am a chef.

That being said this week I made chili out of a mix that came out of a box. Not very chef like at all. But seriously, I have spent a good amount of time trying to make chili at home that I really, really like. I can never find a recipe (or variation on a theme) that has the right amount of spice, heat, kick; all the good stuff that makes chili, chili. But Wick Fowler's 2 Alarm Chili Kit is so awesome I can't believe it comes out of a box. All the spice comes in little packets in the package all you do is add ground beef, tomato sauce, and a little water. You can buy it online or in your everyday grocery store. The package looks a little different now than it does in the pictures in the website but it's the same delicious taste. My only recommendation is instead of the one 8 ounce can of tomato sauce and two 8 ounce cans of water, use one 28 ounce can of tomato sauce and then enough water to just rinse out that can. Also, throw in the entire packet of red pepper. Even if you're a little b*tch when it comes to spice, it isn't that hot. Serve with rice, shredded cheddar cheese, and tortilla chips. Has provided me with lunch for days and I couldnt' be happier. Or fatter.

I also brined and roasted a turkey breast this week from Ted Allen's The Food You Want To Eat. If you do not own this cookbook, buy it. If you have never brined and roasted a turkey breast, do it. I've liked about 90% of the things I've made out of this book and a turkey breast is so much easier (and smaller) than a whole turkey. Almost makes Thanksgiving seem like a waste.

On tap for Sunday, a roasted pork shoulder. Suck it swine flu.

No comments:

Post a Comment